In a universe, far away, in the year 2004, a blue hedgehog was a pretty good assembly language programmer. At home, tinkering with a LCD module on a weekend, he got it to work in graphics mode:
For this same LCD, which I had plans for, in a digital intercom- I took the font I saw in Windows XP (back then I had been using it for just over 18 months). Using my shiny new (at the time) AMD Athlon box I created the font the way I did it back then, in MS Paint, and wrote the pixel patterns down, then typed that all up in assembler running on a Freescale HC08 chip.
Here are the unedited, original files created around that time from the repository:
So what was this actually about?
Back in the day, I operated with naivete about the typical companies I worked for, especially in the Detroit knockoff known as Gauteng. This was an idea I had at home- a digital intercom. I offered to them later that year as a product concept- sadly I got rebuffed, no big deal. However I kept the font and used it as a demo for an LCD they were given as a sample on their trip to Hong Kong somewhere towards the end of 2004. So naturally to make things work and prove concepts I used what I had, and that happened to be this font.
Its a standard font in the public domain, so my thinking has always been that my "embedded" version is fine for GNU uses. However since I have been accused by this particular company at various times of "stealing their IP" in the past (read: they were butthurt that I went to work for one of their most ardent competitors) I have been reluctant to use this font again. However, since I note that the lead accuser has emigrated to Australia, and they have placed every single bit of code I ever wrote, into FILE #13, I have felt that its time to use the effort I once expended to create this, again.
I do this because:
Around the time of this work I did originally, I was enjoying this: